Thursday, September 5, 2024

September 5, 2024 Exit Slip

Watching the video in class today, the main themes that stood out to me were chances, collaboration, and growth. Listening to McCourt, the first thing I noticed was the charismatic energy he emanated, one where I could tell that his stories and wisdom were genuine and grounded. As he talked about his long, fulfilling career, I felt that although it'd be impossible now, he would've been a teacher that I'd look back fondly upon. The contents of his stories were also inspirational, and I found the idea of giving others a chance to be reinforced. McCourt never attended high school, but the dean of NYU's education department gave McCourt a chance. His first students saw a foreign, unfamiliar presence, but they invited him (albeit bluntly, which was funny) to teach, and in turn McCourt gave his students a chance, and continued to do so with the next thirty years of students that came after. If any of these chances were not given, then I feel that many of the lives that have been touched would be less rich than they are now. It makes me want to be an educator with an open-mind, without biases, and seeing potential in anyone I can connect with.

Another notable thing was the adaptive, think-for-yourself manner of teaching that McCourt employed. I liked that when his students were naturally resistant to the class material, he went along with them. "Explain to me why you hate this," he would say. It felt like a great way to channel the students' innate craziness into something inquisitive, as the emotions familiar to the students were allowed to act as a driving force instead of a barrier. Another part I liked was when he took the problem of excuse note abuse and created an engaging Shakespeare assignment - it showed adaptivity and an eagerness to embrace the chaos. This give-and-take process where the students taught the teacher and vice versa allowed McCourt to iteratively mold his classes throughout the years, which I would argue made for a richer learning experience for both him and his students. As someone hoping to teach the different subject of mathematics, I now wonder: how could I channel student resistance into motivation, and get them thinking for themselves and with each other?

No comments:

Post a Comment